About The Butterfly Foundation
In a society where so much focus is on body shape and size, we are seeing an increase in high risk behaviours in young people and increased rates of reported eating disorders. Butterfly strives to be a catalyst for change: to value people for who they are rather than for their looks, and to provide effective prevention strategies and treatment options for those at risk of eating disorders. Change is needed at community, health policy and clinical practice levels. Eating disorders are complex, life threatening psychiatric illnesses. The prevalence and impact of eating disorders are significantly underestimated in our society. There is no immediate cure. While we know recovery is possible, the road is often long and complicated.
Butterfly’s mission is to support and help anyone affected by eating disorders – sufferers, carers, family and friends. Caring is challenging - particularly for families caught in the throes of caring for a loved one with an eating disorder, searching desperately for suitable and affordable treatment options, and at the same time attending to the needs of all the family.
- Nearly 1 million Australians have an eating disorder with less than 25% being in treatment
- The duration of the illness can be in excess of 10 years
- The mortality rate for people with eating disorders is the highest of all psychiatric illnesses (over 1,900 lost their battle with eating disorders in 2014 – higher than the national road toll)
- There are just 37 public hospital beds available nationally for sufferers
- The total social and economic impact of all Australians who have had an eating disorder was $69.7 billion was 2012 (Deloitte Access Economics report Paying the Price 2012).
- Children as young as seven years old are being admitted for treatment at Westmead Hospital in Sydney.
How Your Beautifully Well Box Makes a Difference
By purchasing Beautifully Well Box you are contributing to the amazing efforts of The Butterfly Foundation. We donate $1 from every Beautifully Well Box each month, which goes towards to below initiatives:
$20 Could assist with the facilitation of a support group for someone experiencing an eating disorder or a carer
$50 Could help Butterfly run an online support group for sufferers and carers in rural and remote areas
$100 Could enable the loved ones of an eating disorder sufferer the opportunity to attend a Butterfly family counselling session
$300 Could provide a local school with a workshop on positive body image and self- esteem for 30 of their students
$500 Could provide a course of face-to-face counselling for someone experiencing an eating disorder
$1,000 Could train health workers and doctors within a local community in the identification and treatment of people with eating disorder
From the Beautifully Well Box team and The Butterfly Foundation, thank you for your continual support of an ongoing effort to raise community and government awareness about the reality of eating disorders, and to support anyone affected by eating disorders and negative body image.
For more information or to talk to someone now call 1800 33 4673 or visit https://thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/