Thank you to A Live Yogi, featuring in our November 2019 BWB, for this terrific article.
How to Create your own self-care Practice.
Self-care – quite a buzz word at the moment…but what does self-care really mean?
Self-care means paying and giving attention to supporting your own mental and physical health.
Such an important practice to implement in your daily life!
Taking time for yourself to slow down and enjoy life is often easy to dismiss as everyday life takes over.
You might feel it’s selfish or you don’t have time to slow down and enjoy yourself or perhaps you just don’t even know where to start.
When you don’t take care of YOU, nobody wins.
You might have heard of the saying ‘you can’t fill from an empty cup’.
Here are 5 reasons why a self-care practice is important to implement into our lives:
- Reduces Stress & Anxiety
- Practising self-care can assist in reducing stress and anxiety.
- By slowing down and doing things that feel good to your body and mind, we activate our parasympathetic nervous system into “rest and digest”.
- This simply means you are going to feel calm and relaxed!
- Boosts Happiness & Joy
- Stop for a moment and think how you feel just after a yoga class or a nice massage.
- You feel calm and happy right?
- Self-care can assist in activating those “feel good chemicals” in the brain, endorphin, oxytocin, serotonin and dopamine.
- More of this please!
- Restores Your Energy Levels
- Taking time to slow down replenishes your whole being.
- Even taking 5 minutes of time for yourself to breathe can bring energy to your mind and body.
- Brings You Back to The Present Moment
- Remind yourself, sometimes you have to go slow to get back into flow!
- Implementing self-care activities into your life creates time to slow down and get yourself back into the present moment.
- Learn to Love Yourself More
When you develop a self-care practice and take part in activities that make you feel happy and joyful you are teaching yourself that you are important. Reminding yourself daily that you count too.
To get you started on your self-care practice, here are our Top 10 ideas:
- Practice Yoga (think yin, restorative or yoga nidra if you feel tired or perhaps a Vinyasa Flow or Power to energise)
- Have a bath
- Take 5 deep breaths in and out
- Make a cup of herbal tea
- Cook a nutritious meal
- Put on a face mask
- Read a book
- Practice healthy boundaries
- Take a walk-in nature
If you would like to make yoga and meditation part of your Top 10 Self Care Practices, we’d love for you to join us on your mat. You can start a daily practice from the comfort of your own home at a time that suits you. We hope you can join us over on www.aliveyogi.com